Sunday, October 19, 2008

C'MON... LET'S GO FOR A WALK!

Subject: C'MON... LET'S GO FOR A WALK!

El Caminito del Rey
(The King's pathway) is a walkway, now fallen into disrepair, pinned along the steep walls of a narrow gorge in El Chorro, near Álora in Málaga , Spain. The walkway has gone many years without maintenance, and is in a highly deteriorated and dangerous state. It is only one meter in width, and over a 700-meter fall, and over time it has also lost its handrail. Some parts of the walkway have completely collapsed and have been replaced by a beam and a metallic wire on the wall. Many people have lost their lives on the walkway in recent years. After four people died in two accidents in 1999 and 2000, the local government closed the entrances. However, adventurous tourists still find their way into the walkway.

The view and the music are almost like being in a video game...very cool!

7 comments:

Dolly said...

My friend, Christine sent this video to my email :) Freaky walk-that I have nightmares about now!

Jan said...

Wow Dolly. I couldn't get the video to load for some reason, but the story is very interesting. I am sorry about the deaths, but it is so sad that they had to resort to closure. I bet it holds so much history. I'll try again later on the video.

chelle said...

I am sitting here in my chair, safe at home and my palms are sweating after watching this. Crazy. Walking on the pipes or bars or whatever you call them, freaked me out! Thanks for getting my heart rate up today. M

Lisa Loo said...

reason 543 that i am not into extreme sports or anything remotely like them!!

*MARY* said...

people are insane!

Anonymous said...

i think i would pee in my pants if i had to walk across that thing!

tiki_lady said...

nope, could never do it. i couldn't even finish watching the video! I have an EXTREME FEAR OF HEIGHTS!