Friday, March 12, 2010

Starwars and Kidney Stones

I've been a bit distracted lately- with my very own kidney stone. I've known for quite a few years that I have a stone on my left side, but this past two weeks...I began to really notice a sharp pain in my right side. So, I had my hubby take me to the ER last Saturday. He was none-too happy about it all too(lovely bedside manner). He was ornery about the cost of stepping foot in the ER, whiny about being around sick people, and just plain grumpy about me being in pain. So, I let him know, that the next time he gets sick (or crashes his four-wheeler), I will NOT be sympathetic to his cause. By the time I actually made it into the backroom of the ER-I had to use the ladies room and I was screaming in pain! The doctors and nurses were wonderful to help me ASAP, and I was given medication to fight the pain (truly an understanding medical staff).


The following Monday, I was sent to see a urologist. He of course, let me know that I was holding onto to a very large stone and I needed surgery this week. I asked exactly what surgery entailed. He explained to me (as I was taken to x-ray again)that I would be given an anesthetic, fall into a deep-deep sleep and then have intensive lithotripsy . The doctors would blast my giant stone into smithereens...so that my poor bladder could handle letting it go. This is exactly what happened yesterday...and now I'm just recovering from the effects.

My kids have been wonderful to help each other, and the neighbors have been so kind to bring dinner to feed us. I was fortunate to have my hubby come back down (from work up north). During the whole craziness, my little five year old, Starwars, has been having his own meltdown.

Starwars' teacher sent home a note yesterday, saying that he has been "acting out" his anger...I found this note (little yellow sticky-pad paper) under his bed. Right before he was to get off the bus from school, I got a phone-call from my friend across town-who use to babysit Starwars after school. She said, "Your son is standing on my doorstep!". I guess Starwars had attempted his own "running away" scene-and made it to her house! He talked his way into catching a ride with a little girl from his class. The "aunt" of the little girl, thought she was doing me a favor-taking him to the babysitters. We were all just a little stunned, on what a smooth talker he was- to skip riding his own bus home. My husband was sent to retrieve the run-away kid and was more than happy to scold him:) I found myself in the position of hugging this child and then putting him on the time-out couch.

The Lord was surely watching out for this little boy and his mother too. We have had quite a roller-coaster ride going on here!! Let's hope next week is a little bit smoother...



8 comments:

Rhonda said...

I sure hope next week is smoother! YOu deserve a break.

Michelle said...

wow--what a week! I hope you feel better & get rid of those "rocks" (challenges) in your life!

starwars reminds me of my son (who is 11) but has "run away" a few times. luckily we live in a small community & everyone watches out for all of the kids. I am happy that he was safe.

you deserve a break!! (and I hope your hubby NEVER has to deal with kidney stones!!!). ♥

Christine B. said...

Hope that you are feeling better and the the stones will stay away...This is though to go through such surgery.... I guess this past week was just a week to put aside right ?
Tell Roy to stay healthy....as you might get though on him....

thinking of you... thankful that this did not happen while In Switzerland, although they would have taken care of it just like in the USA, unless you was in France.....

Tulsi said...

I'm sorry to hear about the runaway. It's actually a little bit funny since it didn't happen to me. I surely do hope you heal well.

Amy said...

Oh! I am so sorry. I had kidney stones a few years ago and they were the worst thing I've ever experienced. Seriously. I hope you recover soon!

Photo Crazy! said...

Oh my goodness. What a week you have had. I hope you are feeling better. I am sorry for all the stuff. Love you lots!

Chantell said...

Hope your doing better!
XX

Jenny said...

Gosh! What a week?! Hope your feeling better.