Monday, October 25, 2010

Shadow Box

I bought a shadow box at IKEA over a year ago. It was my first trip to this awesome store...and I didn't have much to spend. The black framed box was pretty inexpensive-like five or six dollars. I knew that something special would fit in this little treasure holder. Today was the day- that I knew what could go inside this frame.
I have a few seashells that make me smile when I look at them. Most of them come from my siblings who travel all over the world. They know that I love all-things-nautical...glass balls, ships in bottles and shiny sea shells. One certain sea shell I have-I love BOTH sides of. One side has brown stripes and the other side has "stair-case ribs". I was having a hard time deciding which side to show off. Then I got a really good idea...
I decided to color copy the rib side of the shell-with my leopard scarf laying on top of the shell!

Then I cut down the copy to fit inside the border. It was like making my own scrapbook paper. I found the hot-glue gun and glued the shell {with the stripes on the top}-down on the color copy. I love the finished look, and I hope this inspires someone else to be brave and fill a shadow-box also. This project was fun!

4 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

I have a bunch of sea shells, sand dollars actually. This would be a great way to hang them up. I have not been to IKEA yet. I need to go check it out really soon.

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Wow, that's really clever!! I like how you made the art. It looks amazing, too!! Thanks for the great idea.

Heather

LeAnn said...

You are so creative; I love the shadow box with the sea shells. It's awesome. Thanks for the idea. We recently used a shadow box to display a medal won by my Great Grand father in the Black Hawk Indian War. I have a picture of both Grandparents wearing the badge on one of my blog posts. Thanks for the idea and blessings to you! LeAnn

Photo Crazy! said...

Everything you touch turns to gold!